Saturday, October 8, 2011

How to keep your style new and fresh

Friends I'm guest posting this weekend over at The Three O Clock Winds!

I was really excited to write about the prompt Erica gave me - "How to keep producing restored pieces that are fresh and new."

It's so easy to fall into a rut sometimes so I think this is an important topic.

Here's part of my post below and you can read the rest on Erica's blog!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Erica asked me to write about how to keep your work new and fresh when you are restoring furniture.

This is such an important topic!!

 Let's face it, almost anyone can take some spray paint and paint a piece of furniture.

But just because you put a new coat of paint on a dresser etc doesn't mean it's worth much more than what you paid for it at the thrift store.

You want people to see your work, stop and say "That's what I want! That's what I've been looking for." You want it to speak to them personally and for them to feel that this piece was made just for their home.

It can be SO easy to get into a rut of pumping out piece after piece that look almost identical to each other.

And while there is a time and a place for that, remember that no two people are the same so why should two pieces of furniture so be the same? :)

Here are some tips that I've learned about how to keep your work fresh and new!



# 1 Emotions rule

In order for people to let something into their home (and in order for them to pay good money for it), they need to have an emotional connection to it. And this starts with you...even before the piece is finished. 

When we're out searching yard sales and thrift stores it's so easy to buy something just because it's cheap.  Don't get me wrong, I love cheap....and free is even better :)....but cheap shouldn't be the guiding rule in whether or not you buy something. You need to have an emotional connection to the piece. You need to be excited about all of the possibilites it holds!! You are going to be spending a LOT of time, energy, sweat, and resources restoring it. If you aren't excited about it, chances are you'll bring it home and it will sit in the corner of your garage for a long time. Also, I promise that if you are excited about and connected to the piece your work will be better and people will see that when they come to look at it. 


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Thanks again Julia! I really seriously appreciate the time you put into writing this for us! Please keep me in mind if you ever want or need something along the same lines :)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia. That was well written. I don't refurnish furniture much, but I thought your tips could apply to other projects I'm working on. I like your idea of using Pinterest to see what's out there. I've been doing that more lately. I love the pics of your furniture. They're all so unique and really well done. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out here http://threeoclockwinds.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award-and-my-picks.html

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super late to the party but just saw the picture of the painted secretary desk on Pinterest. Can you tell me what paint you used and how you painted the little things that come out to support the desk lid when it is open?

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments! They bring a smile to my face!